Our weekly overview of events and things-to-do for families in Brooklyn is out! Highlights this week are the Fall Festival in Brooklyn Bridge Park, a new robotics league at participating libraries, Brooklyn FAM Festival of Arts and Music and our DUMBO Family Games.
Robotics League | Various Bklyn Public Libraries | Various dates
Love LEGOs, robotics and teamwork? Then head to a participating Brooklyn Public Library location for Brooklyn Robotics League. The theme for this year is Super Powered, and kids and teens (ages 9–17) will learn to use LEGO EV3 Robotics and the LEGO Spike Prime set while exploring STEM concepts and making new friends. BPL will host workshops leading up to the big competition on January 21, 2023, at Central Library. The League will kick off the week of October 17th and will meet weekly leading up to the competition 1/21/23.
- Adams Street Library: Thursdays starting October 20th weekly from 3.30 to 5 pm, register here
- Brooklyn Heights Library: Wednesdays starting October 19th weekly from 4 to 5 pm, register here
- Pacific Library on 4th Ave : Mondays and Fridays starting October 21st from 4 to 5 pm. Find out more here.
Fall Fest | Cobble Hill Park | Thursday 10/20
This Thursday in Cobble Hill Park: Fall Fest with live music from 6 to 8 pm.
Harvest Festival | Brooklyn Bridge Park | Saturday 10/22
Join families this fall as we celebrate the changing of the seasons at the Brooklyn Bridge Park Conservancy’s annual Harvest Festival! Don’t miss a kick-off procession, arts and crafts, storytelling, lawn games and more—including signature pumpkin patch. Kids are encouraged to show up in costumes. The free event will take place at Pier 6 from 11 am to 4 pm on Saturday, 10/22.
Van Alen Block Party | Gowanus | Saturday 10/22
Come out to this year’s Van Alen Block Party — a day of food, music, and dancing in the streets! Free and open to the public, the Van Alen Block Party showcases the creative energy of Gowanus and celebrates the power of bringing people together. Games, face-painting and more for the kids. Saturday 12 to 8 pm. Douglass Street & Bond Street, Gowanus
The Haunted Block Party | Red Hook | 10/22
Come out to celebrate Halloween at the Haunted Block Party on Pioneer Street between Van Brunt and Richards on Saturday, 10/22/22 from 1 to 6 pm with costume making, candy, pumpkin decorating, dog costume contest, photo booth and more.
Pumpkin Point | Governors Island | Saturday 10/22 and Sunday 10/23
The Trust for Governors Island and the Friends of Governors Island announced the return of Pumpkin Point, a free annual pumpkin patch and fall festival on Governors Island. Located in historic Nolan Park, Pumpkin Point will bring over 1,000 pumpkins of all shapes and sizes to the Island’s historic district, transforming the idyllic setting along with its naturally stunning fall foliage into a delightfully autumnal escape with free programs and activities for visitors of all ages. Visitors are invited to pick out their own pumpkins (free with suggested donation) on the weekends of October 22-23 and October 29-30, 2022, from 10am to 5pm. Find out more here.
Brooklyn Fam: Festival of Arts and Music | Prospect Park | Saturday 10/22
Head to the Prospect Park Boathouse for a family-friendly fun including dane and music workshops, games, art-making projects and more from 10.30 to 2 pm.
Storytime | McNally Jackson CityPoint | Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays
McNally Jackson book store is hosting free story times upstairs in their children’s section Wednesdays and Thursdays at 4 pm and Sundays at 1 pm for ages 4 to 8. No RSPV required, just show up.
DUMBO Family Games | DUMBO | Sunday 10/23
Join us for DUMBO Family Game Time on Sundays until 10/30 from 10 am to 12 pm on pedestrian-only Washington Street with free games for kids 1 to 10!
Library programming | Brooklyn Heights library | Monday to Saturday
- Monday 4 – 5 pm: Intro to NaNoWriMo for teens
- Tuesday 3.30 – 4 pm: Preschool story time.
- Wednesday 10.30 – 11 am: Toddler story time
- Wednesdays 3.30 – 4.30 pm: Teen Time. RSVP here.
- Wednesday 3.30 – 4.30 pm: Chess Club
- Wednesday 3.30 – 5 pm: Teen Tech Time
- Wednesday 4 – 5 pm: Robotics League
- Thursdays 10.30 – 11.00 am: Babies & Books for 0 to 18 months. RSVP here.
- Thursday 3.30 – 4.30 pm: Kids Create for ages 6 to 12
- Friday 3.30 – 4.30 pm: Teen Tech Time
- Friday 3.30 – 4.30 pm: Rock or Treat: Halloween Around the World. Wear your favorite costume and join FunikiJam, the multiple award-winning children’s musical group, for ROCK OR TREAT! NYC’s only dance-along, sing-along, jam-along Halloween musical for kids!
Library programming | DUMBO library | Monday to Saturday
- Monday 4 – 5 pm: 3D Paint Print for kids
- Tuesday 4 – 5 pm: Kids Explore Acting for ages 6 to 12 RSVP here.
- Wednesday 3- 5 pm: Family movie Spy Cat
- Thursday from 10.30 to 11 am and 11.30 am to 12 pm: Toddler time for ages 18 months to 3 years. RSVP here.
- Thursdays from 3.3- 5 pm: Robotics League
- Friday at 1.15 and 2.15 pm: Babies and Books – explore books, sing songs, learn fingerplays and meet other babies and caregivers! Best for 0-18 months. RSVP here.
- Saturday 3.45 – 4.30 pm: Open Play for Pre-K – K: Adams Street Library will be offering “open play” for pre-k and kindergarteners to explore and play literacy and math games as well as imaginary play.