Further details on the upcoming zoning process of PS 8 and PS 307 have been published. Here is our summary of the most important facts:
- The official proposal will be presented at the CEC 13 September Calendar meeting that is open to the public on Wednesday, September 30th, 6:30 pm at PS 307. We expect the District 13 Superintendent to submit a rezoning plan for a CEC vote of approval after this meeting. The CEC must vote on the plan, at a public meeting, within 45 days of the date the plan is submitted by the District Superintendent. The CEC must approve a rezoning proposal by no later than mid-November so that the DOE has sufficient time to prepare for 2016-2017 kindergarten admissions.
- It is currently unclear what actions the DOE would take if a rezoning is not approved for 2016-2017. It is, however, clear that the PS 8 building cannot accommodate all kindergarten students in its current zone, and therefore it is likely that the entering kindergarten class would be capped at a certain number with excess students assigned to PS 307 as happened for the current school year.
- Children who are presently enrolled in grades kindergarten and above in schools whose zones are changed may remain in those schools regardless of where their residence falls in the rezoning.
- As part of the rezoning proposal, the CEC will be asked to make a determination as to whether new applicants for admission in September 2016 who have siblings who will be in grades 1-5 at the original zoned school at the start of the following school year in September but are rezoned out of the original zone may be “grandfathered” or not.
- 5th grade students attending PS 8 have a priority to attend MS 8. Students who do not attend PS 8 in the 5th grade and do not reside in the PS 8 zone at the time of middle school choice may apply for available MS 8 seats only after all of the continuing PS 8 students, and any students who reside in the zone but are not already in attendance at PS 8, have been accommodated in the application process.
- The DOE also published that Satellite West Middle school, the middle school co-located with PS 307 at 209 York Street, will be affected by this scenario because PS 307 will require more space in its building if the PS 307 zone is increased. There are plans to move this middle school that has approximately 110 students attending to the new middle school location at 60 Water Street in DUMBO which has capacity for over 330 students.
- PS 307 will be holding three Open Houses for prospective parents on Tuesday 9/29 and Wednesday 9/30 at 9 am and Wednesday 9/30 at 5 pm.
If you are new to this topic and want to read more about the rezoning proposal, click here. If you want to find out more why a rezoning of PS 8 will not solve the overcrowding at PS 8 with hundreds of new residential units in the makes, read more here.
Photo: Students at PS 307 in Pre-K